Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Day...Off

4/20/2014, Easter Sunday, Fremont, CA

Jack and I had the day off. No gigs, no driving, no expectations. We were giddy with excitement. Here's how our day unfolded:

8:00am. Coffee. Jack abstains and just gives me dirty looks until he can guilt me into a morning walk.

8:30a.m.  The Sunday Slam front office decides to close for Easter Sunday. Some on the Board of Directors suggest this is like a band taking off New Years Eve, while others argue an Atheist posting today would come across as favorably as something from the Westboro Baptist Church. Note: the best topical analogy always wins.

9:00am.  Morning walk to the park. There is no baseball today - my guess is that all the good Catholic Little League Coaches are home helping their kids find Easter eggs in the backyard before the dog does - but there are plenty of cricket games being played by Indian software programmers with not one wife/significant other/female fan in attendance (there never is). This morning I think I notice that one cricket team has pulled their left fielder; a late inning strategic move, I wonder....until I realize I don't really know if there is a left fielder in a cricket game. What the hell...

10:00a.m.  A home made breakfast of all things bad: bacon, eggs, and my new home style potatoes that have been so successful they have replaced my "Daddy's World Famous Tater Tots" on the menu, though my tots shouldn't be discouraged; they enjoyed a ‘Cal Ripken/Lou Gehrig/Dark Side of The Moon’-like run on the all-time favorites list. You can't stay on top forever....

11:00a.m.  A drive to the pet store for dog food. I can't take Jack with me, he thinks it's a buffet.

11:30a.m. Multiple Facebook posts remind me of Easter bunny chocolate, which makes me think I may need to take a 1/4 of a Father Charlie’s Magic Chocolate Holy Wafer from The Church of San Gregorio, uh, to help me concentrate on my chores for the day. Yeah...

12:00-12:30. Session in the backyard soaking up some fresh vitamin D before it rains tomorrow. Welcome to California, the land of 3 different seasons per week.

12:30-4:30. I remember lots of guitar playing and naps during the Giants game, and an attempt at a Bloody Mary and giggling at my choice of drinks on an Easter Sunday….

4:30. Shower and a clean shirt for dinner.

5:01. Duh...?

6:30. Dinner. Dreams on the couch of steak and a caesar salad became spaghetti and frozen turkey meatballs when push came to shove, though really, there wasn't much pushing or shoving at all.

7:30. The thought that everyone needs to know this on Facebook.

7:45. The realization that know one cares...but do it anyway because that's what you do.

All in all, a good day.

On the list for tomorrow: look up the rules for cricket and see if they use a left fielder.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   April 2014

1 comment: