Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Getting to Know You

(or How to Ensure There is No Second Date)

We had a lovely night
Dinner, drinks
And long talks on every subject
Until midnight surprised us
And we said our good-nights
And kissed our good-byes

When I woke the next morning
I found that I had left my mind 
Running in Full Chatter Mode
And it was having 
A conversation with you

On how I’ve always wondered 
about those store-bought 
Chocolate chip cookies
That stay suspiciously soft and chewy 
Much longer than they probably should
But I still love them

It would seem that
Hours later
Asleep and alone
My subconscious wasn’t finished 
Letting you know about all the things 
That I find curious

For the record
I had no idea my subconscious 
Was still quietly processing 
The mystery of those cookies
But it appears to think
I should tell you everything

So, I wanted you to know
I really enjoyed our evening 
And if you woke up thinking
Of chocolate chip cookies
That’s probably why.

So, 
dinner next Tuesday?



Ken Owen   
Van Niddy Press   June 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment