Saturday, May 19, 2018

As Much As I Can Remember


     "As much as I can remember"

keeps changing.

I have this sneaking suspicion 
memories are escaping 
through some unlatched gate
but I can’t remember 
which ones have gone missing.

Sometimes my friends will 
bring one back and we unwrap it 
like a forgotten Christmas present 
and watch it sparkle briefly 
like a movie flashing 
through a dusty window

and I quickly tuck it away
before I misplace it again
and then scold myself 
for letting it escape.

But sometimes they bring back
ones they insist were mine
that don’t look familiar at all
and say

     I remember it like it was yesterday.

     Don’t you remember?

     I’ll never forget it!

I’m amazed 
they’ve remembered
and they’re surprised
I’ve forgotten.


If I remember back
far enough
sometimes I’m not sure
if memories and dreams
left unattended all these years
have jumped the fence and are
playing together in the dense fog

but be they dreams or memories
they seem perfectly content
to stay right where they are.

My earliest thoughts
my oldest visions
don’t move.

     "As far back as I can remember"

never changes...
                                I think.


Ken Owen 
Van Niddy Press   May 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment