Monday, November 3, 2014

It's The Little Things


You're going to miss me,
but not for the reasons 
you think.

You probably never noticed
the salt and pepper shakers 
were always full

that was me,

or how the vacuum cleaner bag
was always empty
and the cord magically redone

after you shoved them 
unceremoniously back into the closet
in a fit of housecleaning rage

me also,

or the couch pillows returned 
to their proper order by size and pattern
but slightly askew to show casual style

and our snuggly couch blanket folded and ready
for another night of watching your latest
conspiracy theory documentaries 

and the collection of remote controls 
in an orderly row on the coffee table
at the ready with fresh batteries

me again,

and the dogs latest bone
removed from harm's way
of midnight barefoot trips to the bathroom

yeah, me.

So, before I forget

garbage goes out on Wednesday night

you should clean the espresso maker 
with white vinegar when it gets slow

you mow the lawn
shorter in winter
and longer in summer

change the water filter once a month
and the smoke alarm batteries 
on New Year's Day

and please be careful on the ladder 
when getting down the holiday decorations
(trust me, there are no killer spiders in the attic).


Call any time if you have questions.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   November 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment