Saturday, January 4, 2014

As You Know


This morning started 
like any other morning,
coffee and email,
the dog staring and wondering
why we wait for the sun
to get higher in the morning sky 
before we walk 
now that it's winter,

but then
in a surprising turn of events,
I made the perfect omelette
and you weren't there to see it.

It was a thing of culinary beauty
and as you know,
something I've been trying 
to perfect for a while,

well, this morning
perfection showed up 
when I had no reason to expect it,
perhaps I had reached 
the 10,000 hours
they say you must do
before you can be really good at something...

...only tomorrow's omelette will tell

and as you know,
you won't be there 
to see that one either.

I still try to practice my gratitude
for the daily gifts we receive,
so tonight's celebration -
where I raise a glass
to the accomplishments of the day,
will be dedicated to this morning
when perfection came,
unexpected,

and as you know,
you won't be there
to toast with me 
and share the triumphs of our day,
but I'll be grateful 
for the memory of you
I'll have forever
in all the simple things I do.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   January 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment