Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Great Race


I had to laugh the other day
when driving down 
a windy mountain road,

I saw an expensive sports car
stuck in traffic
behind an electric hybrid
only slightly bigger than a bread box
(though I don't recall 
ever seeing a real bread box),

probably being driven 
by a tourist with his wife holding a map
(though I don't remember 
the last time I saw a paper map),

or perhaps a middle-aged hippie 
trying to reduce their carbon footprint
(though I've never seen 
a carbon footprint, big or small).

We've sent men 
from the earth to the moon
in a great race to leave 
real footprints in the sand 
of a galactic dessert,

we've developed great machines
and sent them into space
so we can instantly send
pictures of the new baby
from New York to Hong Kong,

but in this age 
of technological wonderment,
it just goes to show
we are still only as fast
as the slowest guy
on your way down the mountain.


Ken Owen  Van Niddy Press  January 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment