Monday, May 1, 2017

You, Quotable You


Tonight 
under a moon all alone 
in a starless sky

You and I
held each other up
by listening 

waiting quietly for our turn
to tell the same old stories
of love unrequited.

     All roads 
     seem to lead 
     back to them.

     Well, 
     fuck them anyway
     (our usual consensus).

Then 
I paused 
wondering

     how is it we could see the moon
     while ancient star light couldn't make its way
     through a haze of city lights on a clear night.

No answer came shining 
through the haze
of our cocktails 

but when you said
"...anyway, then I realized you can't 
fuck away the heartache"

I knew I should just 
be quiet and pay attention 
because we had just entered 

that part of our evening
where everything you say
is quotable.


April 29, 2017

Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press

No comments:

Post a Comment