Sunday, March 30, 2014

There Will Be Suffering


I told her the story 
of my pain,
complained profoundly
and with great enthusiasm
like venting would solve something
(it won't),
I insisted she know
it wasn't as simple
as all that,

she was only half-listening,
it was not what she wanted to hear
as she had other things in mind
that would solve 
my pain and hers,
but she did say
"of course there will be suffering,
but every junior novice Buddha knows 
that it is the turning 
of suffering into beauty
that is the key",

once I heard that
I was the one half-listening
to her story and plans
and was not interested 
in the other things 
she had to say or offer,
I selfishly took what I needed,

turn suffering into beauty

and that's why she was there,
to deliver the message
I needed to hear:

question not the suffering,
produce more beauty.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   March 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment