Friday, December 20, 2013

The Christmas Wish


My two children are young adults now,
out on their own,
earning pay checks, making babies,
experiencing the joys and harsh realities 
of the real world,

we are far removed 
from their childhood celebrations of Christmas morning,
the late night assembling of complicated toy machinery,
concocted explanations of mysterious traveling via rooftops 
and what happens when apartments have no chimneys,

though now I must deal with others in the family
who whip themselves into a frenzy 
of self-induced panic each year
over what the perfect present would be 
for someone they spoke with 
exactly three times all year,
the same people 
who never believe great-grandpa 
when he says he just wants a card 
and a nice family gathering,
though I'm fairly certain he really means it.

When I give family members 
a personal note or poem
and place it in a Christmas card 
adorned with snowy scenes,
I doubt that most of them notice 
I've just showed them 
that giving from the heart 
can be simple and easy,
they just think I am putting in 
the least amount of effort I can
into a children’s holiday 
that no longer holds any interest for me,

and because of that,
nobody bothers to ask me
what I want for Christmas anymore,
but if they did, I’d tell them that
every year at Christmas time
I find myself dreaming 
of living in a trailer on a beach in Mexico,
just me and Jack the Dog
watching surfers and sunsets
with my guitar and just enough whiskey
to take the chill off the night air,
far removed from the worry 
of who's giving what to whom,
appreciating my extended family
from a safe distance,
missing my two grown children and their babies,
and looking forward to seeing them all
after The Super Bowl
when The Season of Mass Hysteria
has passed.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   December 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment