Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Smile


I remember that night I saw you
sitting in a pew at church
playing your guitar and singing,
practicing your performance 
for that evening.

The youthful innocence 
of your beautiful music
seemed to drift and float
through the cavernous hall
directly to me.

Then you looked up
and gave me the smile of a friend
with a strange familiarity 
I just couldn't place.

Puzzled,
I smiled and stared 
and tried to attach you 
to some fuzzy memory 
of a nameless person I once saw,
but even then
I wasn't sure I knew you,
but your smile said I should.

You played and smiled again.

I smiled again,
convinced now 
I must be listening to music 
from a friend I'd misplaced.

I began madly rummaging 
through closets of dusty memories,
certain that your name and place 
must be around there somewhere,
while my mind splashed and played in your song
and really didn't want to be bothered
in remembering.

You played and sang and smiled.

I smiled and listened and stared
until the moment finally arrived
when I realized...

...we had never met,

and I had been staring and smiling at you
for the last 5 minutes
like long lost friends reunited.

I felt my face flush red with embarrassment
as I winced slightly at the prospect
of concealing my false bravado
while you finished our private concert.

When we finally met
you were very sweet,
and when you gave 
your performance,
I had to keep reminding myself
that your memory 
had only just arrived.

It took a while,
but I realize now 
what that night was all about:
it was a lesson in trusting 
the power of a smile.

I haven’t seen you since,
but whenever I remember that night
I always smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment