Thursday, August 31, 2023

I Seriously Doubt It

 

There seems to be

a mental storage closet in my 

chameleon brain


placed there by either

millions of years of evolution

or a flaw in the great design


whose sole purpose 

is to keep certain 

images and melodies


locked away and long forgotten 

until some mental misfire

of questionable origin demands


we reach in and dust off 

these ancient memories 

for further inspection


like my young joy at being

picked for kickball that day 

during 6th grade recess


or the image of my father smiling

when he looked at me holding

his first grand daughter.


I sometimes wonder

if these random thoughts could be 

generated by bits of cosmic energy 


telling us a review is needed to make sure 

something of significance was not overlooked 

and its life lesson received.


But

after further review

I seriously doubt it


because

try as I might

I could find no reason why 


I woke up this morning with 

‘Danke Schoen’ by Wayne Newton

playing in my head.


Perhaps

there’s a lesson in there

somewhere.




Ken Owen   September 2023

Van Niddy Press

1 comment: