Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Facing The Wrong Way

You know you are in trouble 
when the only poetry you read 
that you can make any sense of
is your own


a clear sign 

that your focus is all wrong

and you are facing the wrong way

worried about too many things

all internal


and all the while

endlessly searching 

for new inspiration

with no clear idea 

of what you're looking for.


Sometimes I fly over a poem

and gaze down upon it 

like a crow over a corn field

only to see an endless stretch 

of verses reaching to the horizon 


and I immediately realize 

I have nowhere near 

the energy or inspiration required

to begin such a journey


so I slink away

carrying the slightest

short-lived pang of guilt 

wondering if


perhaps


I have just given up 

on the one that may have 


as the gentleman said


made all the difference.


Ken Owen   July 2023

Van Niddy Press

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I keep a poem with me always:
    It was lost for good, I thought, the writing, but no,
    as the poet says and I quote, it is like a very faint star,
    if you look straight at it you can't see it but if you look a little to one side it is there.
    It's that speck, the floater in my right eye
    torn from the back of the retina and lodged
    a little to the right of my vision. The particle
    I kept trying to blink away and couldn't,
    nothing but irreversible loss, damage,
    until the eye became habituated, and I forgot.
    Now, to bring it back I stare, unfocused,
    into a middle distance. The speck floats,
    steady as a planet.
    -- Kinereth Gensler, "Writing Poetry"

    ReplyDelete