Wednesday, December 15, 2021

In Search of Inspiration

(The Quietest Room in the House)



After a protracted period 

of reading uninspiring books which 

could not seem to spark any fires 

in my smoldering imagination 


I was excited to see a new book 

from a famous author who

I had been told long ago 

had a style of writing that I seemed to mirror


though I remember having to admit 

I had never heard of the man

and would only realize much later 

the great honor in the comparison.


Rushing home with his new book, 

I went directly to the quietest room in the house

where I knew I could quickly absorb his first few chapters 

while flushing away all recently uninspiring poetry.


And so it began:


a beautiful cover, a touching dedication,

and a poem by the author as prolog; an interesting concept,

but the poem was two stanzas 

about eating his morning’s breakfast 


while staring out the kitchen window,

and it seemed undeserving 

of its special page numbering 

in lower case Roman numerals


and I thought

“Why would you start your book with something 

that will disappoint everyone

before you get to the real numbers?”


Without an answer, 

I continued.


First poem - 

on pages starting with modern numbers 

so as to stem the confusion and declare the real beginning - 

was about his old dog

 

and I thought

“Well now, here’s something I can relate to”,

yet all he could muster was a nice simile 

about his old dog’s snout being as white as a marshmallow

 

and even that felt like a cheap hit 

slapped into right field on a pitch that years ago 

would have been turned into a majestic home run 

from one of the deadliest hitters in the game.


Overwhelmed with the realization 

that the student would no longer find 

inspiration from the teacher,

I left the quietest room in the house


and tried to disarm my disappointment 

by remembering how his wonderful past works 

had taught me the possibilities of the craft,

but I could not shake the image 


that my hero had joined the rest of us 

and become just another dazed poet

staggering to the breakfast table

in search of inspiration.



-sadly inspired by a former U. S. Poet Laureate



Ken Owen    December 2021
Van Niddy Press

No comments:

Post a Comment