Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Misdirection

(Tonight's Battle with History)


Lately
I have been watching historical 
documentaries about war

and I am fascinated and saddened 
by the long history and incredible 
depths of man’s inhumanity against his brothers 

and though I have watched 
these same films many times 
it seems I do this to remind myself

that the events we are experiencing now
that have everyone so distraught and 
so depressed and hopeless with fear

are nothing more than
Hollywood headlines meant to 
keep us distracted from the reality

that our pockets were picked
while we sat there stupefied
watching America’s Got Talent 

instead of reminding ourselves
that the history of the world
is filled with great battles over 

atrocities that really mattered 
when people stood up and 
changed things forever.

     ~~~~

Each morning 
on my way to 
the kitchen for coffee 

I survey the battlefield where 
the dead bodies of once 
proud beer soldiers lie

and a critically wounded 
Kentucky bourbon general
clings to life 

and through the morning fog
that hangs over this now quiet place
I remind myself 

to send the order for reinforcements 
before we suffer the inevitable 
casualties in tonight’s battle with history.



Ken Owen
Van Niddy Press   September 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment