Monday, October 30, 2017

Random Travel Notes: August 2017


Travel Note #1: San Jose Airport

Put down the phone, people watch, make eye contact, smile; it totally creeps most people out. As long as they don't call Security, you're doing it right. 


Travel Note #2: Yorba Linda, CA

Went to the local Von’s (Safeway) to get dinner, and got to the checkout counter with a grass-fed ribeye steak, a bottle of Maker's Mark, and a bottle of speciality microbrew. The following conversation then ensued between myself, the young checkout clerk, the bagger, and the lady behind me:

Clerk: Cool, dude; looks like you got everything you need! (smiles)

Me: I am a man of simple pleasures. (smiles)

Bagger: (guffaws, bobs his head, and snorts in the affirmative)

Lady Next in Line: Please tell me there'll be a side dish or salad, at least.

Me and The Clerk: (exchange of puzzled looks and mumbled half-sentences)

Lady Next in Line: (head bobble side-to-side in the negative)

Elderly Man Shopper next to Lady Next in Line: (a wink and a clandestine thumbs-up)

Now I know why people say 'I love L.A.'


Travel Note #3: Vic and Anthony's Steakhouse, Las Vegas, Nevada

An elderly gentlemen, alone, coiffed and obviously rich, was leaving the restaurant when he walked past my table and said, “If one must eat alone, one should do it at Vic and Anthony’s.”

Snapping back to reality from a food induced dream-state with a mouth full of lobster, I could barely muster a response. “Um…oh…yes! Indeed!"

He replied, “Have you tried the quail egg appetizers? They're excellent.”

Chewing rapidly while trying to act dignified (and failing), I said, “Oh, uh, no; next time!”

I raised my martini glass in his direction, he nodded in the affirmative as he left, and it was then I remembered that if you dress nice, carry yourself well, and keep your mouth mostly shut, no one need know that your just renting the penthouse.  


-KO

No comments:

Post a Comment