Saturday, August 26, 2017

My Side of the Mountain


During each of my
childhood summers
I watched my mountain burn

dry brush and parched weed
set aflame with the boredom of kids 
with no teachers to distract them 
with math and history
and keep them from idle mischief.

Back in those days
there were no homes 
on my side of the mountain

so the fire fighters would just
park their great machines 
on the road below
and watch it burn.

Sometimes when
my mountain 
burned too quickly 

helicopters would fly overhead
and toss great billowing 
clouds of orange dust
on the running flames
while we pleaded with our parents 
to let us watch until bedtime.

My friends and I
could never understand why anyone
would burn our mountain 

so we figured 
it must be the high school kids 
because we didn't 
understand them either.

When we became
high school kids
we still went up to my mountain 

and did all the things 
you weren't supposed to do 
until you were much older
and we never 
burned my mountain
but someone else always did.

My mountain 
was an all-day 
private kingdom 

yet the only thing our parents 
cared about was that we were out 
from under their feet until 5:00pm.

I don't remember 
anyone in my house asking 
what I did all day on my mountain

and that seems 
strange to me now.



Ken Owen   August 2017
Van Niddy Press   


1 comment:

  1. we lived for a number of years one door away from hillside blvd....when there weren't any houses on the mountain side of the road.….we used to see people drive by in their cars throwing lit flares up onto the dry grass....usually at night when the fire was most beautiful......then we'd wake up the next morning to the ugly burnt black hillside.....sigh

    ReplyDelete