Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Difference Between Sex and Love



Sex lasts 30 minutes
60 minutes if your lucky and good
Anyone who tells you differently is a liar
When I hear grand tales of all night this-and-that
I just smile and act impressed

Love lasts a long time
You can take it with you wherever you go
It rides around in your shirt pocket
poking its head out with a silly grin
It hides in your purse and surprises you 
when you are looking for something else 

Those other guys were looking for someone to fuck
No one would blame them for considering you
But that's not what I'm looking for
It never was

I want to make love to someone I'm in love with
Until then, I'll put my arms around you
so you can rest your head against my chest
and listen to the sound of a true heart 
beating just for you if you'd have it

I understand why this might scare you away
but this is what happens
when you show your heart to a poet



Ken Owen  Van Niddy Press   January 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment