Saturday, August 9, 2014

My University (home schooled)


There is a book, marked and ready
to offer me a lesson 
in each room of the house
where I may find a still moment:

Kerouac is drunk again
and riffing at the kitchen table
on poetry as jazz,

a lecture on life in the year 1215 
is being given in the bath room,

Billy Collins poems 
travel easily with a glass of wine
to the back porch at sunset,

while an essay on Buddhism 
rests on the nightstand
ready to teach enlightenment 
as I begin and end each day.

My desk—-the faculty lounge
where volumes rise in dusty piles
like teachers patiently waiting
their turn at the lectern
as I review the curriculum:

'Poems by Ginsberg'
        (I don't get it, I get it, I don't get it)

'Biographies of Johnny Cash and Art Pepper'
        (why is it always drugs?)

'Atlas Shrugged' 
        (3 more chapters then drop the class...again)

'International Economic Policy in The New World'
        (for that serious student on a serious day).

So remember, dear students,
when we open our books
to the sound of turning pages
and the smell of fading time,
we open our minds
to the collective knowledge of man.

Until next time,
class dismissed.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   August 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment