Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Drought in the Heartland


I hope this letter
finds you.

Since you left
long days have become
mostly quiet 
and very still.

Though I still tend barren fields 
that lie parched and waiting,
I expect no harvest
anytime soon.

On days when
great rolling storms
appear without warning
and block out the sun,

I draw the shades
and hide inside
from the howling wind
that rattles the windows.

Hope sees no reason
to visit here anymore,
but I continue to work the soil
and check the sky for clues.

It is hard to imagine you 
experiencing a drought of smiles
in these days of love's thirst,
but they say times are tough all over.

I hope things are better
where you are.

Write when you can.


Inspired by the Ken Burns film "The Dust Bowl"

Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment