Monday, June 10, 2013

The Cool Spot

Jack The Dog has a cool spot in the house where he likes to lay. It's in the hallway, and it's a pain in the ass for him to be there because you have to walk around him all the time but that's his spot, and we all need a spot and that's his so that's that.

It can take a long time to find your spot. It's no easy thing. He's found his spot and I respect that. When he's in his spot, I go around.

It's near the heater vent where air from under the house comes up and keeps him cool on hot summer nights. He's a smart dog, he knows there are small bits of cool air from under the house that drift up and he lays there and collects them. Good for him. He is a 100 pound dog laying in the middle of the hallway in everyone's way and looking at you to say "Sorry, this is my cool spot and I ain't moving. It too late and it's too hot and I'm too tired, so go around." And we do.

I'm still looking for my cool spot. 

There were a few times when I thought I'd found it, but in the end I was just in people's way and I knew it and I had no right to tell people to go around me. The dog is way ahead of me here. He's one smart dog and I am learning a lot from him. When I find my one true cool spot that I deserve, I'll know it, and I'm going to lay down and tell everyone else to go around.

Cool.


Ken Owen   Van Niddy Press   May 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment